Thursday, May 3, 2012

Make friends!!

Our practice has been officially open for about 1.5 months, depending on the way you look at it.  We started working on the "business" aspect of the firm mid-January.  But, we really did not retain clients until the beginning of March.  Then again, we did not move into our office until mid-March.  That is when work really started moving. So, I will say 1.5 months.

However, in the last 3.5 months of working on the "business" side of the law practice, we have learned A LOT.  I will say it again... A LOT.  There is no course in law school, or anywhere, to prepare you to start your own law firm. I wish.  Maybe Crista and I will write a book one day :)

As we have said before, we want to share our journey with you.  There are a few reasons.  First, because we look like idiots on a daily basis and it is hilarious.  Second, our legal/justice system is interesting, ridiculous, perfect, and obscene, all at the same time.  And, finally, because I WISH SOMEONE TOLD ME THIS STUFF!

So, anyways, Crista and I will take turns writing.  We are choosing topics randomly, but if there is something you wish to see, give us a comment!

So, I will begin with my substantive blog: MAKE FRIENDS... REAL FRIENDS!

You hear it in law school and even before: "Don't burn bridges... you never know who is going to be on the other side one day."  Not only is this advice completely {and terrifyingly true}, but I want to add to it.. "Don't burn bridges... you never know who is going to be on the other side one day... and YOU WILL NEED OTHER LAWYERS TO GIVE YOU ADVICE."

I am serious. I can't tell you how many times I have called classmates for advice.  Not only do I call classmates, but I also have called other lawyers.  I have called lawyers I have never even met.  And {for the most part} they save my life... and my pride... and a ton of time... and my sanity.

There is a community feeling in the post-bar world.  We help each other out {or at least that is how I feel so far}.  Of course, there are "those attorneys" who are total jerks; but honestly, I have been pleasantly surprised.  I am so grateful for the professional friends I have made thus far and want to give you advice: MAKE FRIENDS, REAL FRIENDS! You will not regret it and, I promise, you will need them.

In the spirit of gratefulness, I want to thank Patrick Santos, Danielle Mittskus, Miguel Tovar, Kelsey Mezzanatto, Ashley Clinkenbeard, Cory Freberg, Adam Hussein, Andre Alatorre, Krystal Rodriguez, and Sagi Schwartzberg for the help so far.  I always know that I can call you with a "dumb question" and never feel dumb! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers